Traditional tech writing, new tech writing

I applaud you! Even having a bit of dev experience makes communicating with engineers that much easier. If you understand the audience you’re writing for (because in a way you can envision yourself as the audience) it makes whatever you’re going to write that much better.

In any field, there will be the disonance between the “old” and the “new.” Coming from an education background, I know how quickly and easily guidelines and the how-to change. What’s important at the end of the day is to learn how to combine the two.

I read the Twitter thread and some of the comments.

What I take from this is that writers working in smaller companies need to be in the top 25% in two or more things (as mentioned in a comment further above).

By the way, if you have “technical writer” as your headline on LinkedIn, you should change it to something that reflects your top two or three proven skills. Mine is “Communication Expert specializing in Technical Writing and Editing for the Web.” Pay attention to how you position yourself.

My other concern is that some day a lot of our jobs will be performed by robots, along with countless other jobs that we thought could only be done by humans. Because of that, I suggest stop worrying about career paths and think about how you can become self-employed. That’s where the work will be.

I’d love to see the abstract at least, if not the whole study :slight_smile:

BR S