"Generated" or "Built"

I’m writing for a non-technical audience, and trying to describe the process of generating documentation from source code.

Which one makes more sense:

• “Once documentation is cloned from your source repository, it is generated and hosted on our site”
  • “Once documentation is cloned from your source repository, it is built and hosted on our site”

Also curious about a better word for “cloned” here. Pulled? Accessed?

Words are hard,
Eric

For the first question, I’m inclined to recommend “built,” because it’s shorter and less code-ish. (Also, for the case where a more technical reader might encounter it, “generated” tends in context to imply “generated-from-code,” even though that’s not the workflow you’re describing here.)

I’m pretty sure it’s clearer to translate, too , if L10N is a concern.

For “cloned,” I’d recommend “copied.”

In the interest of a bit more clarity and general precision, too, what about this for an overall edit:

“After the documentation source files are copied from your repository, the doc set is built and hosted on our site.”

Second those suggestions, although for a non-technical audience, I’d say “documentation” is better than “doc set”, and I would try to avoid the passive voice. Who is doing the copying and what triggers the build?

The argument for the passive voice here is that the system is doing the copying and building – or script, or some other entity that you would have to anthropomorphize to avoid the passive voice.

I tried to write around “doc set,” and only made things worse – sometimes too much precision obscures as much as too little.

Wording hard :confused:

Thanks for the comprehensive replies! Lots of good feedback :slight_smile: