Do you use Vim to write documentation? Want to share any tips?

At this weekend’s OpenHelp conference I’ll be sharing why I use Vim to write documentation. Anyone wanna share any tips?

I’m talking about plugins for XML and Mallard, and Pathogen, the Vim plugin manager.

There are some really cool commands on Dr. Bunsen’s site.

Ted,

I’m interested in hearing what you do to write in vi.

I take meeting notes in vi, and I end up writing my Docbook-based docs in IntelliJ.

Thanks,
Mike

Ted, I’d love to know how you go. I’m a VIM nut when it comes to writing. I went so far as to create my own GitHub repository for my configuration, which I collated from a number of sources. Have a look and let me know if it helps you out. The repo’s a bit outdated, and needs some love. But it works really well for me.

Matthew, my .vimrc is nowhere near as robust as what’s in your repo. I’m going to take a couple of days going through your configuration to figure out what each lines does. I’ll ping you with any questions.

Glad that you’ve found it interesting. If there’s anything you’d like to add, feel free to raise an issue, or ping me here. I’ve not worked at it for a while. But I’m keen to improve it where needed.