Three personal observations (my opinion only):
- A feature of Write The Docs is its friendliness towards open source, in the “free as in beer” way.
- At least in the Portland area, the Meetup landscape is competitive – most tech meetups offer “free” food and beverages.
- When I started writing, I know I was intimidated by the fees associated with STC. To me, it didn’t seem worth the trouble (especially with additional per meeting fees) even before the age of online job ads.
With that in mind, we’ve had successful meetups in
- restaurant meeting rooms (people buy their own)
- potlucks (a joint meetup with the local DITA group)
We’ve had various sponsors who have hosted, provided food and beverages, etc. I’m grateful to all of them, and try to give them a chance to talk about their companies, especially if they have interesting job openings.