Any Write the Docs in/near Atlanta?

I moved to Macon, GA (which is near Atlanta) this summer to start teaching Technical Writing at Mercer University. Coming from Seattle, WA, I know that WTD is big in the Pacific NW, but I was wondering if any WTD seeds had been planted in this corner of the country, or if I should start planting them?

G’day! If you find any, I’d be interested to know. I’m near Charlotte, NC which isn’t too far away–certainly closer than the Pacific NW! I believe there are some folks in Raleigh, but I don’t know if there have been any meetups in the area.

Bob, David,

We don’t currently have Meetups in either of your metro areas.

You could ask on the WTD Slack board. (If you need to sign up, go to slack.writethedocs.org .)

If you’re game to set up a WTD meetup, we may be able to help. You can start with http://www.writethedocs.org/organizer-guide/meetups/starting/, and we’ll provide advice (and possibly more) where we can.

Thanks,
Mike

I work in Atlanta! Several members of our team went to WTD 2015, and have run into the same… regional difficulty. We’ve considered starting a meetup, but haven’t due to resources/time commitment.

I’ve thought about just putting a message out there to gauge interest, and schedule a low-key event after we get some amount of interest… it just keeps getting pushed to the back burner.

Welcome to sunny GA!

Just checking in to let you know that I haven’t forgotten the thread. It’s encouraging to see some interest here in the southeast!

I’m not sure what the critical mass for an event is. In Seattle, we had a small but faithful group that attended the WTD meetups while I was there. I don’t need much of an audience to get up and speak. Likewise, I don’t need much of a push to go to an event that looks interesting.

Also, what is on the minds of tech writers in this corner of the country? Up in Seattle and the PNW, software documentation is a popular topic.

I’ve been doing some work with putting together some doc sets in Jekyll and GItHub pages, so I have some first-hand war stories that I could share. My professional (pre-academic) experience was writing developer documentation about REST APIs and I have a demo REST API that I could use if there’s some interest in that (Using, creating, writing about, whatever). I’m also working on a Python for Tech Writers course that I could practice on a group of interested participants (to our mutual benefit).

Anyway, just trying to keep the thread going.